View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 01:31 AM   #13
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Mind Control and Body Control Spells vs Elder Things in DF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
"Ogre" is one of those fantasy creature names that is used for a lot of disparate things...
The thread has "DF" in the title, how about you start there.

DF Ogres (as PCs) can buy IMH. Are they Immune to Body Control spells?

Quote:
Otherwise, yeah, I agree Doesn't Breathe grants immunity to choking, but otherwise choking isn't a Metabolic Hazard (in GURPS terms, obviously it is is in a literal sense).
But yet you're willing to class an entire category of spells as Metabolic Hazards when only a few actually affect a creatures metabolism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
Body control spells are threats that only affect the living (unless otherwise specified)...
Yes.
Quote:
...Immunity to Metabolic Hazards gives Immunity to threats that only affect living beings.
No. False.

It gives immunity only to Metabolic threats. It's right there in the name.

Fumble is a 'threat' that can only affect the living, however it is not a Metabolic threat.

Quote:
You're the one who is adding "mundane metabolic hazards" in there. There's no distinction in the rules.
Sure. I'll grant that.

Quote:
Resistant to Metabolic Hazards would of course give its bonus to the HT-based Resistance rolls for most Body Control spells. If you accept my argument that that Body Control spells are metabolic hazards, that's an obvious continuance of the argument.
I do not. I reject it as it has no basis in the RAW.

However there are 8-10 specific Body Control spells I'd be willing to consider as Metabolic affecting, and thus would fall under "Metabolic Hazards". But if I did so then the "good" versions of those spells would also be affected by IMH.

Quote:
Since the Choke spell is a Body Control spell (and not an Air spell), I would guess that it works by preventing a living subject's lungs from working, and should be treated as a metabolic hazard.
So... punching someone in the solar plexus is a Metabolic Hazard?

Is our hypothetical Ogre PC immune to stunning from hits to the vitals in the abdomen (a gut punch if you will)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Yeah that is a pretty straightforward ruling, body control spells are metabolic hazards simply because they are defined as being such.
Where are they defined as Metabolic Hazards? I get defined as "only affects the living", but that is a horse of a different color...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote