View Single Post
Old 01-28-2019, 11:55 AM   #138
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [MH] Caribbean by Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
If one is born in 1970, can one really become successful engineer and consultant by age 25, even with naval service before the education?
If one is willing to be an upstart, yes. Finish compulsory education at age 18. Three years in the RFA, which is a civilian job with military connections, age 21. Four-year engineering degree, age 25. Set up as a jobbing engineer with your only practical experience the RFA, age 25.

British-influenced systems start compulsory education at age 5, and you're ready for university at age 18. They also don't control the plain title "engineer," but experienced engineers are expected to have professional body memberships that he lacked when he set up. The Caribbean is pretty relaxed about that kind of thing.

He is pretty smart, and I did him this way because I wanted him to be fairly young when taken on.
Quote:
Oh, also, presumably he has hobbies. Did he maybe play cricket in college? Or some other sport?
Casual cricketer, loves sailing, amateur radio.
Quote:
Does he have girlfriends in every port (that actually sounds pretty interesting) or is he not concerned at all with romance?
Girlfriends in every port, two of them with children.
Quote:
**In order to have received an offer to be the Chief Engineer aboard Penemue, he'd have to be perceived by Kessler as more suitable than the kind of retired US Navy or Coast Guard warrant officer who could be hired at a salary of $250,000+.
My thought was that their personalities just fitted together well. The junior engineer role is an alternative.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote