View Single Post
Old 11-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #49
Otaku

Default Re: Being self aware of mental disadvantages

Quote:
Originally Posted by VariousRen View Post
Disadvantages are inconvenient, and should generally be avoided.
This seems like a good time to check one of my own potential misunderstandings about the game: I seem to recall part of the justification for many Disadvantages giving less points back than their Advantage counterparts cost because the assumption is that indeed, a player (and sometimes even a character) will minimize opportunities for succumbing to Disadvantages and maximize opportunities for benefiting from Advantages (including during character creation).

Anyone want to chime in if I've got that correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VariousRen View Post
An interesting idea is to require a player to always role a CR, even if they don't plan on resisting. When they succeed, it's clear to them (maybe not everyone around them) that they have the choice to do something else. This ensures that everyone is getting the same forced game play out of their disadvantage. It also allows anyone who wishes to play it to the hilt because that's their characters personality (but NOT their disadvantage) to do so.
I like this as it causes an intersection between role-playing and game mechanics where it is clear someone is choosing to hinder his or herself to better assume the role of the character. That plus potential bonus CP then become adequate compensation for the player that wishes to (for example) play not a recovering alcoholic, but one comfortable in his current state without needlessly penalizing the "recovering" alcoholic truly meant to recover. The latter should be required to expend if not all earned CP at least some of it periodically to improve his SC roll until it reaches the level appropriate to the character (nasty Quirk actually being free of it).

The player that falls in the middle? Wanting a character that is an alcoholic but hates being one and thus constantly tries to resist? In real life that has consequences as people begin to doubt your sincerity and is likely incredibly depressing/frustrating. Making sure the game reflects such things seems like it should offset the "gain" of always resisting but never actually buying off/buying down the trait.

At least until someone tells me how they've tried this but it doesn't work (and why it doesn't work). ;)
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote