View Single Post
Old 11-23-2015, 12:11 PM   #41
VariousRen

Default Re: Being self aware of mental disadvantages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I'd say someone who try to resist all the time is an example of someone who should start to buy off the disadvantage.

Your examples are perfectly valid of course, but when people mention "making rolls all the time" I'm pretty sure it's because they have unfortunate experiences with ROLL-players who never attempts to play their disadvantages and only get them for free points and try to avoid actually being disadvantaged by constantly rolling. With a control roll of 6 you tend to fail all the time anyway. But with CR 15 it will very often mean that you never have to act on the disad, making it more or less "free points".
I absolutely do not, my group is amazingly flexible about rules, willing to flow with the narrative of the story, and jump between groups of characters and play them faithfully even when the two groups are working against each other. You can even confirm this for yourself, we record our games and post them to youtube, link is in my Sig.

CR is about being forced to do something even if it's in your best interested not to, choosing when to roll against your CR is about when your character views it in their best interest not to give in. This is such a powerful idea for roleplaying that it seems a shame to waste it and say "just buy off the disadvantage".

What would you do in the case of an imposed disadvantage? If a player is bitten by a werewolf, and gains bloodlust CR 15, should they just immediately give into that in the name of "good roleplaying"? The wild barbarian might, but the fallen paladin would resist at every turn and attempt every single self control roll. The paladin is no more or less valid in their roleplaying attempts as the barbarian.

As a side note, everyone should try to avoid their disadvantages being disadvantages. The guy with Honesty shouldn't be the mouth piece of the group, the guy with klutz shouldn't be the demolitions expert, the guy with miserly shouldn't be the quartermaster. If you are playing a mismatched character because it's interesting, you better make sure the entire group understands and agrees with that. As a player, it is incredibly annoying to watch your own character die because someone else said "haha, a klutz demo man, what a laugh!".