View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 11:21 AM   #50
mlangsdorf

Default Re: Buried alive - Need Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudmo View Post
I've always been a bit confused over shape earth, it's vague and open to debate.
But the way I see it is that cubic yards is the measurement of something in size and/or volume. But do I only pay mana for the actual earth and can the area be any size as long as within it is only the 1 cy of earth.
I would think that the area I cast on is 1 cy regardless of actual volumes of earth vs. air ratio.

I don't think the spell is designed to take a volume of rock and move that volume through another volume of rock. I think one needs to cast the spell on the entire area I'm shaping or cast it multiple times to shape each part of the way traveled.
I think what he's suggesting - and it's a good suggestion - is cast Move Earth on a 2x2x1 yard block of stone near the surface. Move that stone up and out, thinning it as you go, so it becomes a wall and roof, each 6" thick, with a total surface area of 216 square feet. Now, at 1 yard per second, walk 60 yards while moving your 4 cubic yards of stone with you. Spend 3 FP to maintain it for another minute, and repeat the movement until you're free of the spiders.

Total cost to move 500 meters is 7 + 8 * 3 FP - which is a little more than your mage can get off, but you can have the Cleric cast Lend Energy on you to make up the deficit. It takes about 9 minutes to pull this trick and a single spellcasting roll.

Daigoro's got the best plan so far for sure.