View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 12:20 AM   #23
Melkhior

Default Re: Interest in 3d printable track pieces for 'classic'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammulder View Post
I looked in GitHub. I didn't realize how many pieces you have. Can you suggest a small subset that I can start with just to make sure this it going to work reasonably? Maybe a couple straights and 90 degree turns and a non-track fuller tiles, all at "level 1"?
Yes, there's already quite a few :-) And no filler tiles yet - everything is for track (the idea is, there's plenty of OpenLOCK walls around that can be re-used for an Arena feel).

I'd say ignoring Z variations (level, banking, ramps, ...), a good starting point would be:

EA-RDO-Straight-Lvl0-v1.0.stl
EA-RDO-Crossing-Lvl0-v1.0.stl # less important
EA-RDO-Turn90-3-Lvl0-v1.0.stl
U-RDO-Turn90-4-Lvl0-v1.0.stl
U-RDO-Yinter90-Lvl0-v1.0.stl # less important
U-RDO-Side1-4-Lvl0-v1.0.stl

That would cover the basics to get the track shape (with some hard cornering :-) ). The larger 6x6 Turn90 would come next, but it seems it's missing as a single piece. Then the weirder 4x6 Turn90, but it's only in three pieces - twice, right and left.

And as you noticed, with a 2" track, you need at least 3" wide tiles... and for more complicated track patterns, larger area cut into several tiles.

Edit: It seems I can't generate 6x6 in a single piece, OpenSCAD crashes when generating the STL. Even adding a simple cube to the 6x6 OpenLOCK base causes a crash. Bug in OpenSCAD or weird geometry in the 6x6 base, I don't know.

Last edited by Melkhior; 02-12-2018 at 12:56 AM. Reason: mention 6x6 issue
Melkhior is offline   Reply With Quote