View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #45
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: grappling a flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ack View Post

Surely having ST 200 that allows someone to prevent someone from flying (ie, TK, chi, or whatever) would have an attendant enhancement or limitation involved.
It might, or it might be "just my power," at +0%.

Quote:

Because nullifying a particular power by touch, with no resistance roll allowed, is otherwise a very powerful ability.
By default, it's called "being as heavy as my ST suggests," which isn't in any way a special ability. It has nothing to do with nullifying a power, any more than a 1,000,000-lb. concrete slab nullifies a power.

Quote:

wait ... are you saying that a 1-ton character can be lifted, flipped and body-slammed by a flier with sufficient ST to do so, even if they are grappling someone?
I'm saying that's true if the GM has specifically decided that the strong person's powers don't provide effective mass. By default they do, but if they don't, there's a tradeoff: more vulnerability to being lifted up, but less vulnerability to collisions and gravity, and a rather amazing jumping ability.

The flying character here isn't being ****** out of anything; rather, someone is trying to cheese the rules to let ST 60 pick up 1,000,000 lbs. If his victim weighs 1/500 what he should, then it's no longer cheesy . . . but then his victim should also get his points' worth out all that ST. Normally, that ST provides mass and near-invulnerability to being picked up, but if it doesn't, then it instead provides super-leaping, innate resistance to gravity, and reduced injury in slams. It's either/or; if high ST provides neither mass nor these other effects, then it needs a deep discount for being near-worthless, and it's the ST 200 guy who's being ****** if he doesn't get that.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote