View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #26
Icelander

Default Re: GURPS Assassin's Creed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
Ah, got it. Let's see, counterattack is a favorite as previously mentioned,
From watching the video, it looks like many of the armed counters are actually Riposte or Stop Hit.

Of course, Counterattack would provide a nice back-up option, but damme, I just cannae afford another six (or twelve, if I take it for both sword and knife) point investment!

Quote:
and Etzio is quite grabby, as a lot of his moves involve knocking an opponent's weapon out of line far enough that he can lay hands on them and then use them as a human shield or stab them somewhere tender.
Feint? Beat?

Quote:
He also tends to do a lot of "dirty tricks" style maneuvers, where he kicks someone in the junk then stabs them while they're distracted or something similar.
And opponents never parry his unarmed attacks with weapons.

I have a house rule that if you follow a Feint by a 'suboptimal' attack you receive a +2 bonus and if the attack is very much inferior to your primary one, you get a +4. In that way, you get a +2 bonus to follow a sword Feint with a shield bash and would get a +4 bonus if you followed it instead with an unarmed kick (with all the risks attentant upon that).

So I figure that what he's doing is Feint with his sword, kick to the Groin and then, in the next turn, while the enemy is hopefully stunned and at least at a Shock penalty*, he goes for the kill.

*House rule in my games that Shock also applies to defences (-1 per -2 of shock) and it dissipates more slowly than in the RAW (Shock penalty is halved per turn, rounding down for the penalty).
Quote:
Most knife fighting is done with reversed grip, and he doesn't rapidly change grips a lot with either knife or sword.
Given how much Reverse Grip sucks in GURPS when you want to slash with it, I'd think that the player would quickly learn that to emulate the animation exactly was very suboptimal. Instead, he should either avoid slashing with knives altogether, or, alternatively, use the Reverse Grip technique to make all stabs in an underhand grip and all slashes in an overhand one.

Besides, that's one area where the game could look much cooler. Constant switches in knife-grips would look badass.

I did note some quick grip-changes with swords in the finishing moves, though. Granted, not instant, but fast enough to make the change-up and attack both take place in the same second. I wonder if that should be Reverse Grip (Sword) or more accurately as Ezio choosing to 'waste' his Extra Attack on a Ready*?

*Yes, I'm aware that you can't do that in GURPS. Well, in my games, you can exchange an Extra Attack for a Ready.