Thread: New Skills
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 04:16 AM   #105
zot

Default Re: New Skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I don't know. 32/2 = 16, and giving 16 spells to every starting wizard seems as though it breaks one of the big tradeoffs of Wizard.

I know! We could roll two 8-sided dice . . . No, just kidding, put away that glaive-guisarme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
John brings up a really good point here. I wonder if there isn't a more elegant solution to determining how much in the way of skills and spells can be learned out there somewhere...

Maybe skills use the 32/2 = 16 paradigm, but IQ remains a rigid limit to the number of SPELLS you can learn as part of that "16" number...

(E.g., if my character has ST 12, DX 12, IQ 8, then he can learn up to 16 "points" of skills and spells, but since his IQ is only 8, then only 8 of those slots can be taken up with Spells (which means, if he's a Wizard, he gets 8 Spells; and if he's a Warrior he only gets 2 spells and has to raise his IQ by one to learn another one.)
I agree. Here's a slight modification / clarification.

The rules for starting characters are the same as classic TFT and Wizard:
  • You start with IQ talent / spell points (just like classic TFT and Wizard)

When you gain XP, you can purchase new talents and/or spells, subject to these limitations:
  • The number of your spells can never exceed your IQ (just like in wizard)
  • The total number of your talents and spells cannot exceed the higher of IQ and attributes / 2

Last edited by zot; 07-10-2018 at 04:19 AM. Reason: clarification
zot is offline   Reply With Quote