View Single Post
Old 10-04-2018, 11:59 AM   #7
Refplace

Default Re: RM vs basic magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeiLin View Post
Yes, that's correct, thanks. My bad, I just assumed it was ritual path magic, because it's about rituals and then it mentioned "colleges or paths" in the book. Guess I've seen it too many times on the forum without knowing it.

Hmm, I guess it's not possible to change the title. Well, any mod, feel free to do so.

The rest still stands as is, though.
Looks like the title has been updated for you (Thank you Mods).
Yeah the early systems, especially suffered from naming issues that cause confusion. I really wish Basic Magic had an official name (I call it College Magic) and that Ritual Magic had a different name as well. No one ever gets RPM, Book/Path, Realm, Symbol, or Sorcery mixed up.

I have used RM in Third Edition but not Fourth and we liked it, mages still had that expert in a college look and feel to them but players didnt feel like they wasted a lot of points on prerequisites.
I think the main differences are
  • More versatile since any spell in a college is available
  • Lower spell skills overall, both with defaults and because you need two VH skills to increase your cap
  • Signature spells are not too xpensive o reach the cap, but your likely to have only one or two of them per college (I'm ok with that)
  • All your colleges tend to be at the same level, though with Basic most of your spells were at the 1 point level anyhow.
Bottom line, a Johnny One spell is cheaper with Basic Magic so certain players object to RM. I might allow Technique Mastery though and that would offset that issue.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote