View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 10:34 PM   #15
b-dog

Default Re: A Boss monster book would be good to have

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
I think that's getting outside the realm of a Monsters book, and more into an Encounters book.

Which would be a fine thing to have! Even a very niche book: Encounters: Lairs.
If a book like that was called lairs or encounters it wouldn’t matter much to me. The useful thing for me is to have some active monsters in dungeons along with the standard spider or other monster waiting in his room for the PCs to come along and fight. I just imagine a lich that moved into a dungeon or cavern system would not be only waiting for the PCs to arrive instead he would be actively keeping an eye on any intruders and if alerted he would have some sort of security system in place to attack the PCs. There would be other monsters in the dungeon that are only concerned about finding prey or are guarding something that would not have any security system but I feel that the boss monster should. The boss monsters that might have security systems might be mind warpers, ancient dragons, powerful undead, powerful demons, and evil men like wizards and evil clerics. So an encounter with this kind of boss monster would include his surveilance abilities and security system too. Maybe something of a crossover with Action might be useful because these types of boss monsters would be similar to the bad guys in Action IMO.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote