View Single Post
Old 10-05-2019, 10:10 AM   #10
Coinage

Default Re: Percentage based damage on Instant Death Distintegration Attacks

I was thinking of just adding a flat +300% for the "Cosmic" enhancement, specifically the "Godlike Tricks" (from Power-Ups 4, p. 7). This means that the damage roll is based not on a preset number, but based on the target's HP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
The rest of that number is just reflexive paranoia for an ability that (in PC hands) smells like it's meant to short-circuit adventures. Being able to insta-kill the final boss is more valuable than being able to insta-kill the hall trash, even if their HPs are close, and it's likely more detrimental to the narrative part of the game. I'm not even sure I'd allow an ability that has a 1% chance of giving the climactic fight an abrupt, boring, disappointing ending, so I don't really have a good feel for how much of a surcharge would be useful to dissuade munchkins while not overly penalizing the players that have to have an ability for concept, even if it's not maximally point-efficient.
You're absolutely right to be worried about the potential abuses for this power. This is why I'd keep it restricted to NPC's. No PC's could have it. I would also have a whole bunch of Limitations attached to prevent the advantage from being used to bow up the planet. Like, a REALLY strict Accessibility Limitation.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Coinage; 10-05-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Coinage is offline   Reply With Quote