View Single Post
Old 03-19-2018, 12:57 PM   #5
mlangsdorf

Default Re: [DF] Integrating bits of G4e into the DFRPG

What did he do after the did the Heroic Charge, stabbed two guys in the eyeballs, and then was attacked by a couple of crossbowmen with meteoric iron bolts? Can't parry at that point. You were also letting him break the rules twice: You can't Flurry on a Heroic Charge (MA 131) or make multiple attacks on a Move and Attack (Basic 370).

The difference between Ambidexterity and Off-Hand Weapons Training is 4 CP, or one level of Rapier. I don't think those 4 CP were breaking the game. Dual-Weapon Attack is an optional rule in the base game, and other than the ability to improve it, is not much better than a WM's rapid strikes anyway. And the ability to improve it is yet another optional rule.

Targeted Attack (Rapier Thrust/Eye) sounds like it was the biggest offender, and it's a pretty big offender: essentially +5 to hit a valuable target for 6 CP. DF is certainly a game where you can easily justify sending waves of foes that don't have eyes (or brains) at the swashbuckler, but not having it in the rules is also a good solution. Alternately, limit the amount of penalty you can buy off to -3 or the normal limit - poking eyeballs at -6 is less appealing.

I personally don't like Heroic Charge, and don't use it in my games. But I don't think bring OFWT or even the DWA technique into your game is necessarily going to break it.

But you have some experience as a GM, and you have a feeling for what is working in your game and what isn't. My point remains, you can add stuff from G4e back into DFRPG as you feel appropriate without really breaking DFRPG, and almost all of the stuff removed from DFRPG was removed on the basis of complexity, not abuse*.

* Case in point: edged rapiers are the most abusive weapon for swashbucklers, and they weren't removed. If swashbucklers had to run around with sabers to have a cutting weapon, they'd just be... well, still abusive, the first swashbuckler in my first DF game used dual sabers and he was a total cuisinart.