View Single Post
Old 03-19-2018, 11:36 AM   #4
A Ladder

Default Re: [DF] Integrating bits of G4e into the DFRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beriogelir View Post
The munchkin swashbuckler PC was pretty darn abusive.

He used Off-Hand Weapon Training (Rapier) and Dual-Weapon Attack in order to not have to buy Ambidexterity and still be able to dual-wield a pair of edged rapiers.

He used Heroic Charge to Move and Attack at his Move 8 without any skill penalties and Flurry of Blows to accurately attack repeatedly without having to buy Extra Attack.

Then he used Targeted Attack (Rapier Thrust/Eye) to circumvent an opponent's armor and quadruple his damage.

Add in his Parry Missile Weapons and his ridiculously high Rapier Parry, and he was nearly untouchable. He would leap into combat, poking enemies in the eyes and hemorrhaging FP, one-hit-killing two or three enemies per turn, and leave nothing for anyone else to do. It might've worked in a wuxia game or something, but in a Dungeon Fantasy game where he was the only one with these kinds of abilities, it absolutely broke the game for everyone else. The rest of the PCs were more-or-less his support staff. That's the kind of thing I am afraid of if I allow too many G4e rules to creep back in.
Heroic Charge + Flurry of blows for two to three enemies? Did you let him do more than 2 attacks with Rapid Strike? If so, did you make him pay the FP for that? Heroic Charge (1 FP) + Flurry of Blows (1 FP per attack, p. B357) for two attacks costs 3 FP...he should be down to half move/dodge in about two or three turns.

Yeah, I wouldn't allow the Eye stabbing technique personally but YMMV. IMO, you need to send enemies that don't have eyes or eye vitals: Slimes, Oozes, Ghosts, Worms, Electric Jellies, Zombies, Skeletons, etc. are your friends. Give enemies Nicitating Membrane (DR on the eyes).

Take a look at the parrying large weapon rules p. B376. His rapiers are going to snap if he tries to parry an ogre's club, any type of polearm, or other large object (thrown boulders perhaps?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Gotta be fast to escape the propaganda machine of Viking swiftness

Last edited by A Ladder; 03-19-2018 at 11:43 AM.
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote