View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 03:16 AM   #23
Parabola

Default Re: In Nomine and real religious reactions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
QFT

I know a few people that refuse to play because they are (or at least pretend to be) offended by any suggestion Jewish, Christian and Muslim mythologies might be real. Which I always thought was weird given a) CDaU on the subject and b) they are perfectly happy to play theists in other settings with made up gods.
I can sort of see that because they probably didn't grow up having, say, the ancient Norse or Greek religion pushed at them but they possibly did grow up having Christianity or one of the others pushed at them or they live in a culture that keeps telling them one of these mythologies is literally true. In other words, they may have built ip a resentment of one of these religions that they never built up against any of the old pagan religions.

For example, I've played gods in games, I've even played Thor. But I never bothered with things like, "How does the Norse creation myth fit into reality?" I just assumed it didn't, that it was the Norse gods myth about themselves and where they came from. End of story. But I tried playing an angel and I stopped after a couple of adventures because it was causing more resentment than fun. I was sitting there thinking things like, "So, I'm an angel? So where does evolution and all the inconsistencies in the creation myth fit into my existence? What's the real story?" It was becoming just a catalyst for a lot of resentments to come out.
Parabola is offline   Reply With Quote