View Single Post
Old 12-05-2016, 02:04 PM   #3
Mithlas

Default Re: Tweaking Psionic Powers

Thanks for the response. Most of the powers look pretty simple, but as I broke them down I noticed a couple don't appear to add up as the book lists their end prices. Cryokinesis costs 13/level, breakdown as following:

Temperature Control 1 [5/level]
(Area Effect, 8 yards, +100%;
Cold, -50%;
Increased Range, LOS, +70%;
Psychokinesis, -10%;
Requires IQ Roll, -10%;
Takes Long-Distance Modifiers, -5%)
These total up to +95%, bring the cost of this section to 10/level. The linked abilities:
Burning Attack 1 point [5/level]
(Malediction 3, +200%;
No Incendiary, -10%;
No Signature, +20%;
Psychokinesis, -10%;
Selective Effect, +20%;
Variable, +5%,
requires IQ roll -10%)
Totaling +205%, bringing the cost to 15/level if it's a primary, 3/level for an alternate ability.
Fatigue Attack 1 point [10/level]
(Hazard, Freezing, +20%;
Malediction 3, +200%;
No Signature, +20%;
Psychokinesis, -10%;
Variable, +5%,
requires IQ roll -10%)
Totaling +225% or about 7/level for an alternate ability, 33/level if it's a primary.

If I understand correctly, you set the cost by the most expensive part of the power and add in 1/5 of the others (if handling them as Characters page 61 notes for Alternate Attacks, and Alternate Abilities in Powers page 11). However, that would make this 33+3+2=38/level. The book says 13/level. Clearly I have a miscalculation somewhere, but everything adds up this way every time I go over it. If there's some errata for Psionic Powers, I can't find it, and I only have a dead tree format.

The same problem occurs with Pyrokinesis (listed at 14/level, my breakdown is 34+3+2=39/level).
Spoiler:  
Mithlas is offline   Reply With Quote