View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #49
Icelander

Default Re: GURPS Assassin's Creed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosignol View Post
Oh, they do, it's just not at the frantic 'swing per second' that you would expect to happen in a GURPS game. If you were trying to simulate AC2 in GURPS, the mooks should spend a lot of time Evaluating before they take a swing, and might be mentally stunned every so often on account of failing a fright check after seeing Ezio brutally kill their buddies.
I've house-rules in effect that double the to hit bonus given by Evaluate, so enemies that circle you while looking for an opening are actually more dangerous than the ones who simple wade in swinging.

On the other hand, it is realistic to assume that normal people will spend seconds on Evaluate, on Intimidate skill rolls, on Leadership rolls (or asking a leader what to do) and on Observation rolls (Concentrate?) in combat. After all, how does a random city guard know that he's not being stalked by a second assassin while his friends are fighting that one? He looks around him. He nervously glances at that shadowy alcove behind him while trying to keep up his guard in front of him.

The choreography flaws in the Assassin's Creed games isn't that enemies attack too seldom, necessarily, it is that they fail to respond to clear openings while Ezio is showboating with his back or flanks to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosignol View Post
You may want to go out and pick the game up. AC2 is pretty reasonably priced (~$30ish) now that AC2:B is out.
My cost estimate is considerably higher. Not only are games very expensive here (at least double your estimate), but I'd also have to buy a PS3. ;)