View Single Post
Old 12-23-2006, 06:32 AM   #38
misterbaldy

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

This is my first actual post to this forum, and it is probably as good a place as any to begin.

Steve,
It's quite refreshing to see a company being up front with it's fan-base/stakeholders. I recently purchased the following:
  • GURPS (4th Ed.) Characters
  • GURPS (4th Ed.) Campaigns
  • GURPS (4th Ed.) Powers
  • GURPS (4th Ed.) Space
  • GURPS (4th Ed.) Bio-tech
  • GURPS (4th Ed.) GM's Screen
I must say that I am quite impressed with the quality of the work. As a long time HERO Games supporter (since 1981, to be exact), I have become disillusioned with the direction that the company (HERO/DOJ), and it's product line is going in.

I have always told my friend John that SJG has always turned out some of the best sourcebooks for RPGs (My favorite is still GURPS Atomic Horror), but I would never play GURPS. For the most part, I rationalized and reassuredly said to myself, "Why should I play GURPS...I have HERO."

HERO has become a monster to me. It's 5th Edition Revised is overly complicated, difficult to use...and sadly overdone. When you absolutely MUST have a computer program to aid you in character creation...you have a problem.

Well, after all these years...you got me. I bought GURPS 4th Edition. For the most part, it's not so much as a substitute for HERO, but more it is that I have finally "seen the light", as it were.

Like I had said previously, I have always felt that SJG has turned out some of the best RPG suppliments to date..."So, why not use the game system that they were intended for?"

So Steve, like I said at the beginning of this post...It's nice to see a company being so up front, and listening to its fan-base/stakeholders. You have a new GURPS fan, and someone who has been a gamer for a long time (over 30 years now). I cut my RPG teeth on D&D and Traveller, Played White Wolf's Vampire: The Masquerade for quite a few years, and was a long time HERO Games fan. I played many of your products for years (OGRE/GEV, Car Wars, Melee, Wizard). Sadly, I lost almost all of my gaming stuff in a fire about 9 years ago, and have been slowly rebuilding my library of games.

I am glad to say, GURPS (4th Edition) is now a new addition to that library. It's taken me a long time to realize it, but I finally have.

Thanks for continuing to turn out high quality and affordable games. Keep up the good work.

Sincerely, from , from a long time gamer, and a new (and very happy) GURPS fan,
Joseph E. Geer
(a.k.a., misterbaldy)