View Single Post
Old 02-02-2023, 08:43 AM   #4
Embassy of Time

Default Re: How to teach roleplaying games to teenagers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovewyrm View Post
Wouldn't it be quite easy to teach them role playing?
Videogames, including mobile games are super common, after all.
It is not so much the mechanical aspects, more the, uhm, socio-narrative challenges? In video games, you go in a direction and point and click. Just getting them to talk about their characters, much less describe character actions or, gasp, ROLEPLAY, they seem completely lost at the thought of playing through talking. They see CritRoll and think being funny, dramatic, clever and so on comes as natural as playing Fortnite or remembering movie quotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Is this a teenager thing? I thought GMing was just hard to teach in general.
I am NOT going to argue against that, dear lord can it be challenging! But the whole "awkward teen" thing makes it much worse, I think. They got the rule stuff down nicely (simplified GURPS rules, though), but helping them create worlds or design adventures is hard. They approach it like video game programming, wanting to force PCs to follow some vague narrative and designing every encounter by stats only. I think they UNDERSTAND that a lot of roleplaying is about choices and creativity, but they can't seem to wrap their heads around the idea that they have to make room for any of that. Not sure how to better explain it...
Embassy of Time is offline   Reply With Quote