View Single Post
Old 04-21-2022, 08:47 AM   #1382
Spencer

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

I'm glad to see that Steve Jackson Games is still doing well, although I too wished that 2021 was a better year for sales. I've been a fan of Car Wars since the 80s and love that I can purchase classic game materials still. I have a few questions, though:
1. Once CW6E ships, what plans do you have for expansion? You have a lot of extant intellectual property in that game, and I for one would like to see if material from older editions can be updated and re-released as 6E material. That would provide a lot of potential expansion to the new edition, and could help to expand interest in the new edition.
2. You mentioned problems with overseas shipping. Is this a problem with receiving new production, or a problem with shipping product out? If it's the former, have you looked at moving that production to a domestic source? if it's an outbound shipping problem, have you looked at production possibilities located within ground transportation distance from your markets? Given the explosive increase in shipping costs, regional on-demand production might actually prove to be more cost-effective than shipping from a centralized production site...but then again, perhaps not, which is why I'm asking these questions.
3. I know that there is a lot of competitive pressure from digital media gaming on tabletop gaming systems, but I think that there's an opportunity here. Several tabletop gaming systems have expanded their outreach (and sales) by using virtual gaming tabletop systems like Roll20, where friends who are physically separated can gather and game. Have you given thought to creating an official virtual gaming site, where games like Munchkin, GURPS and Car Wars would be available to play? I'm fairly certain that your sales of electronic format products would surge, and the major expenses would be providing the servers to host the system and the personnel to maintain it through tech support. It could help to expand into this potential market.
I love that you keep all stakeholders, including players, in the loop. Here's hoping that 2022 is a banner year for the company, with explosive growth and profitability for you.
"Bob knew that he was in trouble the instant that he lined up the sidecar rig in his sights and heard a 'click' when he pulled the trigger. Based on the sized of the dust cloud following that sidecar rig, it was big trouble, too."
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote