View Single Post
Old 11-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Upgrading existing gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
My schema is obviously very unfavorable to PCs. It's in line with what Anthony said: The whole point of stuff like Signature Gear and Weapon Bond is to offer big benefits (permanence, skill bonus) at a cost in flexibility. Something similar could be said about weapon skill . . . the downside to spending all your points on Broadsword skill is being out of luck when you come across an amazing mace or spear or morningstar. Magical loot is meant to be a little haphazard! But if you're willing to wait forever or pay big gobs of money, you're effectively trading one inconvenience for another, which I'd consider fair play.

Personally, I'd rather discard the points on lost Signature Gear and Weapon Bond, and get a new sword, than go eight months without my sword or pay an extra $25,000. If I'm spending $30,000, I'm getting something awesome. I'll earn more points on my next adventure and rebuy Signature Gear and Weapon Bond. But some players are really obsessed . . .
The thing I've seen is when the player gets a cool bow (in my game an artifact bow) that is as good or better than anything they are finding, but then they raise ST. Is it reasonable for them to restring the existing bow, or not? Or even if they find a cool bow but it is a different ST than theirs?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote