View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #133
Figleaf23
Banned

Default Re: Altering the Initiative Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
I have Basic Speed 6.00, and my friends and foes have 5.75, 5.50, 5.25, and 5.00. The GM informs us it's time to go into combat rounds.

GM: 6.00 is first, choose your maneuver.
6.00: I choose to act last, as if I had a speed of only 4.75.
GM: Fine. [GM handles maneuvers for the other player's turns.]
GM: Time for 4.75's to declare maneuvers. 6.00 acting as 4.75, what do you do?
6.00: I choose to Move and Attack. [The player moves a full 6 yards and attacks.]
GM: Okay, back to the top of the order. 6.00 is first.
6.00: I Attack the same guy I just attacked.
GM: Fine.

Questions:

Was Move and Attack a legal choice for 6.00? I say yes. While not a legal option for the Wait maneuver, 6.00 technically didn't take a Wait maneuver. 6.00 simply chose not to act at their full Basic Speed.

Was it okay for 6.00 to move 6 yards, even though he chose to act at as if he was a 4.75 player. I say yes.

Was it okay for him to act at 6.00 on the next round. I say no. Once your place in the combat turn sequence is set, you can't advance it.

However, it could have gone this way:

GM: 6.00 is first, choose your maneuver.
6.00: I choose Wait. After 5.00's turn (the trigger) I will Attack a foe that is in range (the action).
GM: Fine. [GM handles maneuvers for the other player's turns.]
GM: Okay, that's 5.00's turn. 6.00, your Wait is now triggered. There are two foes in range. Pick one and Attack. [6.00 does so.]
GM: Okay, back to the top of the order. 6.00, what do you do?
6.00: I Attack the same guy I just attacked.
GM: Fine.

So, when used in this fashion, a high Basic Speed can get two full Attack maneuvers in against a lower Basic Speed foe without the lower Basic Speed foe getting a maneuver in.
That all seems entirely correct, IMO.

Only one thing I still wonder -- if a high-Speed character wishes to revert to using their full Speed and take a higher place in the initiative sequence, should it be allowed if it will NOT have the effect of doubling-up on someone?
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote