View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 12:01 PM   #297
JLV

Default Re: Attribute levels in Rick's Campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
Man you guys were ambitious. I ran several multi-year campaigns and no one reached 50 points even. Of course, I did not allow job rolls.
My campaigns always allowed job rolls; plus I added in a bunch of "extra" off-time things players could do (reworked versions of the Down With The King prestige tables) which could also result in XP awards -- not solely from rolling on the tables, but also from the consequences of some of those rolls -- things such as duels, trials, escapes from prison, etc., etc. All of which meant that off-time could lead to some nice extra XP, as well as providing numerous plot hooks for "on-time" that led to fast and furious engagements and adventures. While "on-time" still gave more XP, off-time was no longer a dull job roll (unless that's all the player wanted) with minimal additional XP. It's amazing how fast XP can pile up in such a situation, even with a guy (like me) that was somewhat grudging with XP awards for things other than magic use or fighting. On average then, the player character loss:survival ratio was about 3:1, and even so, I routinely had player characters reach the 50s and 60s after a year or two of play, with some managing considerably more if they managed to survive all the way to the end of the campaign.

My campaigns generally ended for two reasons; usually both together. One, my players finally got their characters to the point where there simply wasn't anything to really challenge them with (and they were nearly impossible to kill), and two, like Rick, we got bored with the ongoing premise and wanted to try something new. My most successful campaigns, perhaps somewhat oddly, were ones not based on campaign arcs, but rather what are now termed "sandbox" campaigns, usually set in Judges Guild's Wilderlands of High Fantasy, where the players had more control over how the adventure went.

Last edited by JLV; 01-13-2018 at 12:05 PM.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote