View Single Post
Old 01-25-2018, 12:03 PM   #38
tbeard1999

Default Re: Fantasy Trip Glitches, Contradictions, Ambiguities

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
The more I think about it, the more I like Rick Smith's idea of revising the weapons table to account for penetrating damage, versus crushing damage, without complicating the rules by addressing them under that name, or coming up with extra die rolls or any of that stuff. Simply revising the range of results for the differing damage results accomplishes the exact same thing without having to worry about the details AND makes it more difficult (if done carefully) to choose the perfect weapon.

I also think the idea of Shuriken needs to be looked at much more carefully -- in point of actual fact, they do very little damage to an armored opponent, unless there is an incredibly skilled/lucky hit on such a person. Historically, they were more of a distraction than an actual source of injury (unless poisoned -- and yes, I know they were rusty and could cause lock-jaw, and that probably happened, but it's not terribly heroic to say "wait two weeks, THEN you'll be sorry!"). So, in my opinion, they are bit "overpowered" in the game.
Maybe the Peculiar Weapons section should be divided into a Peculiar Weapons section and a Ridiculous Weapons (or Dramatic Weapons) section. Peculiar weapons are unusual, but have more or less realistic rules. Ridiculous weapons have explicitly fantastic rules but are highly optional.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote