View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 02:24 PM   #439
swordtart

Default Re: The Unoffial 2056 Vehicle Guide

If you fly over my road, you don't need to pay a toll, so I won't even shoot at you. If you pay the toll, I win and I won't shoot at you, so we'll have to assume you want to engage or it's either win to me or a draw.

Hmm, I am not sure where you get "and the way CBs work, dispersing bomblets *above* the target, the trenches and berms will *not* save them". Now in the real world CBs do indeed distribute sub munitions, the CW rules don't mention that (and we have to be very careful of attributing real world effects to Car Wars flavour text). All we have is the statement that it has the 1.5 burst radius for full damage and diminishing damage in increasing radius. We have no real clue if a CB is just a word that someone decided to pick as flavour text.

Now the best way of handing real CB in CW parlance would be instead to use the scatter-pack rules and specify a number of smaller grenade style munitons with a defined effect per sub-munition. However these sub-munitions still need to land in a specific place, and if that specific place is not within the foxhole, then it will have no more effect than any other BE munition landing outside the foxhole.

Only Cloud Bombs actually detonate above the ground (actually ground to the usual 1/2" height for all dropped gasses). If it landed in a foxhole then the foxhole and the communication trench would be filled, but it wouldn't affect anyone in the next foxhole directly. I would allow the additional 2" radius to also cover under and above the cloud and so troops in foxholes covered by the original HDSS counter would suffer the 1d damage (but not those in foxholes 2" beyond the counter). It is still only a 1" x 2" counter though so you will still need lots.

IRSS simply eliminates penalties for night firing, it is not thermal imaging (this is explicit from Tanks). For that you need a thermograph which costs extra and is an upgrade to IRSS. If you are going to use that though you will also need to be using the spotting rules from Tanks which are a function of range. You will still be in a far better position than trying optical spotting, but it isn't a foregone conclusion. You will still only see targets that you are directly above as even thermographs cannot see through earth banks.

If you are going to start using aeroduel aircraft, I'll require you use the aeroduel bombing rules. If you are horizontal bombing then you will be hard pressed to be able to spot anything you can drop a bomb on (as the bomb needs to travel horizontally as it falls). This is less of an issue with low level bombing (as the vertical component takes less time), for slow moving a/c or ideally helo's. You could dive bomb but then you need to take the range into account and risk dumping munitions all over the shop. You also need to use the extended scatter rules and not rely on the tiddly scatter distances in the basic rules.

I don't think teleguidance is an option for bombs. Laser guidance just gives bombs a to hit of 6 (laser guidance needs to be operating for the duration of the drop, if you lose LOS to the target during that time you automatically miss). The bonus for hitting the ground is already included in the to hit for a bomb.

Last edited by swordtart; 06-16-2019 at 02:48 PM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote