View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #140
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
IMTU Megacorporations and Nobles often act on their own outside the Imperium.
It seems to me that corporations do that in the OTU too.

Quote:
One is that I thought that even SW was too favorable to the Imperium and the Darrians in it's narrative of the frontier wars.
Well, the book was writtent from an Imperial viewpoint, so you could hardly expect a Sword World hagiography. What exactly did you have in mind? The broad strokes of the history was already established, but I did add a few motives. Where did I treat the Sword Worlders unfavorably?

(I'm geniunely curious).

Quote:
I don't like the Zho [...] and I don't like the Vargr...
And the Aslans are unbearably smug land-grabbers with no respect for other people's property rights.

Quote:
But I do like the Sword Worlders, and would like them to have a decent provocation other then "We're really cool space vikings who don't act a bit like vikings."
Who says what now? I fail to grasp your point.

Quote:
I like this because it is a paridigm shift from the typical space opera where the Empire is an active player either as a good guy or a bad and if the empire is good then the characters are it's servants and if it is bad then they are it's enemies.
People have talked about how the Imperium and the Megacorporations are in bed together, but there's at least one mercenary ticket and several other bits of canon that show the Imperium acting as a curb on megacorporate activities and noble shenanigans.

My view of the canonical Imperium is that Strephon (and, I imagine, the Alkhalikoi in general) tries to do right by his subjects and requires his servants to act on that, but that there's only so much control he can exercise; mostly it boils down to the character of the local duke.

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote