View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 05:37 PM   #20
hal

Default Re: Binary propellant and Standard TL 8 guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
One of the primary problems with theorizing about advanced guns is that they appear to be a non-priority for any actual military.
Part of the problem too is that if you stockpile ammunition for war time use, switching to a new system for ammunition causes logistics issues. Then there is the investment required to stockpile the new munitions. I can't help but wonder if that is one of the reasons that the G11 was scrapped, aside from the reunification of Germany and budget constraints etc.

Even now, there's talk about ammunition shortages with speculation that the US government is buying more pistol ammunition than it had in the past. But that's a market issue rather than anything else that I can see.

If I had a set of guidelines on propellants and bullet weights etc (such as can be found with GUNS GUNS GUNS by Greg Porter), I'd be a little happier. GURPS VEHICLES had rules for building guns, and GUNS GUNS GUNS even had rules for porting over designs for use with different game systems (like CP2020, MegaTraveller, GURPS, etc)

In the end, if SJGames doesn't build something I want, I'll have to build my own. I did it once before using AFTERMATH rules for building guns, using the M-16 as a baseline since they were in both AFTERMATH and GURPS, and working it that way - or I can simply do the same with ULTRATECH using some other material. I just hate pulling numbers out of thin air is all. ;)
hal is offline   Reply With Quote