View Single Post
Old 04-01-2019, 03:22 PM   #26
DataPacRat

Default Re: [Spaceships] SM+35 Toroid Station?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Reaction engines are completely unrealistic at the size. The waste heat alone would vaporize the engines because their volume to area ratios would be so high. You have a BDO that cannot maneuver any better than any other large asteroid.
So I've noticed. (A SM+29 Orion drive system would use up 1,500,000,000,000,000 tons of drive-units to provide a whopping 6.4 metres/second of delta-v. Which would be enough to move the station its own width in roughly 10.8 hours.)

Since Spaceships doesn't handle sails above SM+12, I'm currently looking into (ie, googling) an option for selectively altering the craft's albedo, to see if I can figure out how much of a change in impetus that might provide; and then I plan on reading up on magnetic fields, such as the ones around gas giants, for any other options.

And once I get my fill of figuring out how one BDO works... I get to start thinking about /lots/ of BDOs in various places. (I don't know if GURPS can handle any sort of description for a Kardashev >2 precursor society, but I'll be willing to give it a try.)

Put another way, I'm trying to use Spaceships more as a springboard and less as a straightjacket. :) )
"Then again, maybe I'm wrong."
DataPacRat is offline   Reply With Quote