View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 07:25 PM   #144
tshiggins

Default Re: Five Earths, All in a Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
I don't think East Asian cultures on Inp-Earth are really any better about homosexuality. Take Japan for example and that whole "Schoolgirl Lesbian Romance" thing a lot of anime has. One thing you notice is that it's considered okay for the girls to engage in that when they're younger but as they grow up they're supposed to drop it and get married to a man because Schoolgirl Lesbianism is childish and a sign of immaturity. That doesn't seem very friendly to lesbianism.

Admittedly that's for Japan, which really isn't a homosexual-friendly country. I don't know enough about other East Asian cultures to comment on them.
Japanese literature refers to homosexual activity back to ancient times, I think, albeit mostly between men and younger boys (sorta like the Greeks, in that way). They supposedly adopted ways of thinking about the practice from ancient Chinese culture. Again, I think "discretion" is key, in both cultures.

I think you're correct about traditional Japanese views of lesbianism, though, based on the (very little) reading I've done about it. This is not a huge area of interest for me, really.

That said, I think the Inp-Japanese would definitely lie on the "tolerant" end of the spectrum of world cultural views of the practice. Perhaps not as far out as Europeans or the nations of the British Commonwealth, and perhaps a bit behind the more liberal areas of the United States. However, while they do not recognize same-sex marriage, they also have none of the laws against sodomy that many conservative Americans very much would like to put back on the books.

Mostly, I think they'd decide to treat it as a "non-issue," especially if it would interfere with their ability to open up trade with Mongo, and any diplomat from Inp-Japan would have zero problems bowing deeply to either Empress Dale or Empress Aura.

Hey, PC, where did you post the stuff about Mongo, anyway? I can't find it, quickly.

Last edited by tshiggins; 01-14-2014 at 07:41 PM.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote