View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 01:25 PM   #141
warellis

Default Re: Five Earths, All in a Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
A lot of that will vary from culture to culture, on each world. I think most East Asian cultures have been more tolerant about that sort of thing than those burdened with the sexual mores of the Abrahamic religions, especially if discretion is exercised.

A (very) narrow (mostly regional) majority in the United States will have no problems with Mongo's sexual culture. Heck, some might apply to emigrate, only to discover that a "planetary romance" world is just a little too exciting.

Aussies, Canadians, Europeans and Japanese will have the fewest issues, of all the developed space-faring nations of Inp-Earth, while Orthodox Jews, Muslims, and Christian Fundies on both Inp-Earth and Dp-Earth will pitch screaming tantrums. The pope on Clp-Earth will likely issue a writ condemning it, and the pope on Dp-Earth may do the same. I'd bet Inp-Earth's pope will likely restrict himself to sternly-worded lectures about morality, while quietly enquiring about when it might be possible for Catholic missionary priests to hitch a ride to Mongo on an ESA spacecraft.

Muslims might not care about Emperor Flash's harem, until they learn the two empresses exercise very real political power, and don't hesitate to lay the smackdown on mouthy critics.

For his part, Emperor Flash I, has to keep the peace on a world with a history of insurgency and a violently-fractional political culture. Besides that, Dale has stuck by him through a brutal (and successful) coup that brought him to power, and he may trust her a bit more than he does his other wife. There's no way he throws her under a bus to please reactionaries on other planets.
I don't think East Asian cultures on Inp-Earth are really any better about homosexuality. Take Japan for example and that whole "Schoolgirl Lesbian Romance" thing a lot of anime has. One thing you notice is that it's considered okay for the girls to engage in that when they're younger but as they grow up they're supposed to drop it and get married to a man because Schoolgirl Lesbianism is childish and a sign of immaturity. That doesn't seem very friendly to lesbianism.

Admittedly that's for Japan, which really isn't a homosexual-friendly country. I don't know enough about other East Asian cultures to comment on them.
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote