View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 11:32 PM   #9
Varyon

Default Re: Suggestions for item enchantments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewings View Post
Her sword and its case were made of materials able to survive vacuum exposure
In the enchantment system I'm working on for my Oubliette setting, one way I'm making swords "special" is that you can have some of its enchantments be part of an Item Set with its sheath/scabbard. Item Sets there enjoy a price reduction, but you must have all parts of the Set equipped to benefit from such enchantments. Adapting this to normal GURPS Magic (Oubliette uses Spells as Powers, with the monetary cost of enchantments being based on the nominal character point value) may allow for your sword to have up to 20,000 points worth of enchantment, but with half of those only being available so long as the character is wearing (or carrying in her off-hand) the sword's scabbard.

Quote:
as was her fencing uniform
Enhanced protection, as you note, possibly with Vacuum Support. Allowing it to enhance her ST, DX, and/or HT might not be inappropriate as well.

Quote:
and she has a jade ryu bracelet, an heirloom from Japan
Jade is often seen as a good-luck charm, and I think some cultures saw it as having purification properties. It granting the character enhanced luck (Luck, Serendipity, etc) would be highly appropriate, and may help explain how she managed to survive when nobody else did. Purify Food and Water and/or Purify Air also wouldn't be inappropriate, although you may even be able to justify having the Jade sustain her, granting her Doesn't Eat or Drink and/or Doesn't Breathe (or lesser versions thereof). Note these are particularly appropriate for someone who has spent the last 10,000 years living off of, well, nothing. If the dragon has an ouroboros motif to it (holding its tail in its mouth, for example), this is doubly appropriate. If supernatural Evil exists, jade may repel it, give the character additional protection from it, or even make the character's attacks hurt it more.

Quote:
and a silver brooch from the fencing academy
Silver tends to have similar mythology to jade, albeit more on the purification side than the good luck charm side. A lot of what I said for jade would apply here. I'd be inclined to make this more offensive than defensive, however, as a)modern fantasy tends to put silver in a more offensive role and b) it's a memento from the school that taught her her combat style.

Quote:
plus her pin with the ship's insignia
As others have noted, a connection to the spirits of her long-dead fellow travelers seems appropriate here.

Note that, as all of this is essentially signature gear for the character, enchantments that make the items difficult to be stolen/lost or broken will be useful on all of the items.