View Single Post
Old 03-21-2006, 01:51 AM   #32
Jürgen Hubert

Default Re: Birthright to Gurps

Quote:
Originally Posted by thona
Would anyone be willing to participate in a discussion about a new rule system for something like that?
I would.

And I am for keeping things relatively abstract - I do not wish to have to deal with calculating the soil fertility ratio or something like that during the game itself. That doesn't mean that we can't do some of these calculation before we lay down the final rules, however.

Let's start with the number of people any given "province" can support (with "province" being an arbitrarily-sized domain that should be the basic measure of land - just like in Birthright).

Basically, each province would have a basic "fertility" value that represents its capability for sustaining agriculture. Mountains and deserts have a low value, flood plains have a high value.

This is multiplied by a so-called "TL multiplier", representing advances in agriculture. A TL0 society will get much less use from land than a TL4 society.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for these values?