View Single Post
Old 10-08-2018, 01:10 AM   #29
Skarg

Default Re: Why bother with powerstones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Odd rule question:

Example: A wizard with ST 15 can only put 15 of her ST into one or more stones adding 3 points total or does this mean that the wizard can put 75 ST into each of a dozen stones, charging each up by 15 points? This makes a big difference in the question of taking those big beefy barbarians captive or slitting their throats.
The way the rule is written, the wording "put [...] ST [...] into [a powerstone]" is used both in the conversion rate and the limit, which to me clearly indicates they mean the same thing.

So the ST 15 wizard can charge the powerstone by up to 15 points per day (using 75 ST to do so). He'd probably need some help to do so, however, since 75 ST takes 19 hours and 15 minutes of rest to recover. It would probably make more sense to have apprentices charge the stone themselves rather than casting Aid spells on him, unless the charging limit is also per stone.

AND, that brings up the question: Can each wizard charging a stone put ST into it equal to each of their ST attributes? I'd tend to think it would be more interesting as a limit if the stone itself were limited, so if you have a ST 9 wizard and a ST 12 wizard, the stone stops being able to receive ST when the donor wizard's basic ST is equal to the ST it has been recharged that day - otherwise, a group of wizards would tend to bypass that limit. i.e. even if a wizard rests 16 hours per day, that's 64 ST per day, plus the ST he wakes up with in the morning so call it 70 or 75, which is only enough to charge a powerstone 14 or 15 ST per day if that's all he does. But if you have even two ST 8 wizards, and they can each charge each stone up to their basic ST, if it adds, that'd be 16 ST per day, more than the "wizard's basic ST" limit.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote