View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 04:17 AM   #17
Alonsua
Banned

Default Re: Realistic Point Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I like the guideline that starting characters can spend at most 2 x age in character points on skills.

If a player came to me with anything like this idea and method of presenting it, I'd be thinking of the actual PC having delusions about their own ability levels, and probably other mental disadvantages that the player probably wouldn't know about.

Player's character sheet:
Mary Sue, Age 17
ST 16 DX 16 IQ 16 HT 16
Advantages:
Ambidexterity; Discriminatory Hearing; Discriminatory Smell; Photographic Memory; Language Talent; Intuitive Mathematician; Sensitive Touch; Single-Minded; Versatile
Skills:400+ points in skills...

GM's version of character sheet:
Mary Sue, Age 17
ST 10 DX 11 IQ I2 HT 11
Advantages:
Literacy; Alertness +1; Language Talent +2; Mathematical Aptitude +2;
Disadvantages:
Delusions, Overconfidence, Inability to Distinguish Fantasies From Reality, Doesn't Know She's Confined To An Asylum, maybe Megalomania, etc.
Skills: Up to at most 34 points in things the character actually had access to good sources for.
How is this an iconic and awesome character for a whole setting, if according to Biotech an average physician got IQ-13? More importantly, how does the skills limit respect the learning rules introduced in Back to School? How do you treat a player character trying to attend to college or get any kind of education?
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote