View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 10:41 AM   #23
offsides

Default Re: Self-aware Ogres and Loyalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Interesting point. Self-aware, even if designed by humans, does not imply human values, at least not in the same measures.

OTOH, as I think I pointed out in the history part of the minis rules, the Ogres who did NOT have an urge toward self-preservation were less likely to survive, so - as things dragged on - the berserkers and stoics got screened out in favor of those who were, to adopt Leiber's description of the Gray Mouser, "wisely fearful."
I think that by definition, self-awareness comes with at least a modicum of self-preservation. After all, once you are aware they you exist, you also begin to understand the concept of no longer existing. And since a lack of existence terminates any awareness (at least as far as we know, and probably more so for an Ogre (e.g., Thornbush 8 - power down and wipe, and the loss of awareness because of that, was equated to death. The converse is thus implied quite strongly)).

So self-aware Ogres would definitely have strong self-preservation instincts, the question becomes how strong are they compared to their other instincts, such as waging war against their enemies and supporting their allies. Some situations are easy: Do as much damage as possible but get out alive? Sure. Defend this bridge at all costs? Maybe, but probably not unless there's other factors. Protect the evacuating civilians/top brass/whatever that MUST survive for our side to win? That gets harder - because self-awareness and self-preservation can also lead to the concept of self-sacrifice. Wouldn't that make an interesting story - the lone, self-aware Ogre refusing to retreat and being overwhelmed because the alternative was the destruction of something it cared about. Maybe even another Ogre...
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote