View Single Post
Old 08-24-2017, 01:44 AM   #35
Mailanka

Default Re: Alternative Psionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie T View Post
Before I go and start making alterations (even as the option Pulver gives in Pyramid), I want to make sure I'm understanding them as written. Maybe I've just been thinking too much on them...

So, please bear with me.

Basic Set had 6 psionic powers. Now with Psionic Powers, we have 10 and a multitude of Abilities.

In Basic Set, Telekinesis allows you to:
- move objects without touching them
- use objects like you have a set of hands, etc.
- Strike/Grapple
- Levitate
- Throw things

With Psionic Powers, it's actually broken out those bullets (essentially, some are grouped together) as the Ability and a corresponding skill. You can add a talent to a category and it applies to all abilities in that category? The parent Telekinesis advantage in Basic is no longer needed to be taken. If using the more detailed Psionic Powers system.

Or you can take the standard Telekinesis by choosing Telekinetic Control.

Do I have that right?
"Standard TK" is TK-Grab, and having messed with psionic powers for awhile, I can safely say that's 90% of what most people will do with TK. Psionic Powers adds TK bullet (not just throwing things, but throwing small things fast enough that they're better treated as innate attacks) TK-Crush (Which destroys internal organs). I don't know if levitate is included in Telekinetic Control, but the idea of buying it is that it's cheaper to just take flight than to take TK for the purpose of floating around.

So Telekinetic Control is not "GURPS standard telekinesis," it's the sum of Psionic Powers TK rolled into a single ability, which actually makes a lot of sense, because if you're crushing someone's throat, you're probably not using TK-bullet, and if you can only do one of these at a time, conceptually, you're talking about alternative abilities.