View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 06:34 AM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Layered Cutting Edge Armour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
In regards to a post upthread with an example of TL9 armour consisting of a flexible underlayer and a clamshell outer layer, how does one apply the Cutting Edge Armour rules in connection with layering armour rules?
My intent was that the armors were actually separate - the soldiers could actually run around in just the bodysuits, but usually strap the rigid armor on top of that. So, in that case, you just use the layering rules as-is.

For actually building something that simply has multilayered armor, here's how I'd handle it*. First off, the armor design rules have an unwritten assumption (that can be inferred from DR/inch and max DR) that rigid armor must be no more than 0.2 inches thick, while flexible armor must be no more than 0.5 inches thick. Exceeding this (outside of some specific areas, where the cap is increased - I believe the Cutting Edge and Ultra Tech version make mention of it) would result in a rapidly-increasing DX penalty. For armor made of multiple layers of different flexible armors (Nomex over Kevlar for improved burning resistance, say), or multiple layers of rigid armor (metal over ceramic, so that weaker attacks don't reduce DR), simply use the above guidelines. For something more composite in nature, set a limit of 0.5 inches thick, but multiply the thickness of the rigid layer by 2.5. In my example, the flexible armor is a uniform 0.1333 inches or so (we'll round up to 0.15). The double-DR layers of rigid armor are just shy of 0.2 inches, the lesser layers are just shy of 0.1 inches; we'll round up. The high DR sections are functionally 0.65 inches thick (0.15 + 0.2*2.5), the lower DR sections are functionally 0.4 inches thick (0.15 + 0.1*2.5). Because the high DR sections are where you have an increased cap**, no DX penalties would be applied.

Layered Armor should probably use the normal layering rules or the above, whichever is worse. Rigid armor should have the option of being tailored/adjusted to fit over a substantial flexible underlayer, allowing you to use the above rule exclusively. Wearing such armor without such an underlayer makes it fit improperly.

Technically, all of the above would mean, with the right design, the soldiers could actually have rigid protection over their entire body, with the flexible underlayer. However, I feel the partial armor is more realistic, more aesthetically pleasing, and more interesting (allowing aiming at exposed areas, or spraying and praying to hit such, while the alternative is "I hope you packed armor piercers"), so it's what I'd go with.

*I think I've posted about this before, but I've changed my mind a bit since then.
**I feel the Chest should have the same increased cap as the Head, at least for 5/6 or worse protection (sizable gaps at the armpits). If you disagree, you may wish to reduce the Chest DR in my example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I never got the impression their yellow suits were supposed to be any more armored than a baseline yellow rubber raincoat
I'm unfamiliar with AIM; the above are what I'd use for elite Ultra Tech soldiers, and may or may not actually be appropriate for AIM troops.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote