Thread: Yay for 1/64!
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2019, 10:03 AM   #8
Magesmiley

Default Re: Yay for 1/64!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
We _may_ be able to offer extra bases as add-on items during the Kickstarter campaign. Adapting the base to work with an off-the-shelf die-cast toy car will require work; we do not guarantee or promise that the bases will work with any car other than official Car Wars miniatures.
No worries on that Phil. FWIW, I'd love to be able to add on a bunch of extra bases... I'm liable to order a bunch.

A cool Kickstarter promo might be some additional base colors (and dashboards). This could be a great high-end sponsor item - have the sponsor's contribution cover the additional costs of doing another color (setup/teardown, material change costs, etc.) and let them pick the color. You could even do several at this level. A way to have some more color variety than just the original four and have the cost of doing so covered.

As to their fitting or not... again no worries. Those of us who use die-cast cars already have some experience in this area.

My take based on what I saw at FnordCon:
Many will fit, some won't. Assuming that the bases are 150% size of what was at FnordCon, most Hot Wheels and Matchbox should be okay. They probably will even work a bit better due to the additional rounded areas on the ends allowing a slightly bigger car.
The biggest determiner for fit is that they should not overhang from the base at all. (The base is used in collisions and any overhang would be an issue.) A number of the Jada Battle Machines won't be suitable, for example, because they would overhang.

The other factor is attaching the cars - as I understood things there will be a piece on the bottom of the cars that slots into the bases. Options for us converters is probably a permanent super-glue. (Hey another KS idea... make a separate plug piece for the bottom of the cars available to allow die-cast conversions, again high-end backer level to cover additional tooling costs.)

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote