View Single Post
Old 09-01-2019, 03:33 PM   #50
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Default Re: Programmed Adventure Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Those were quite good as well (though I already had Delta Vee, since it was the tactical space ship combat system from Universe). The also put their version of Man-to-Man in Ares as an issue game; at the time I remember thinking it was kind of a cop-out since again, I'd already paid for that with my copy of DragonQuest, for which it was the tactical combat system. Ah well, many of the other games more than made up for it, in retrospect!
Somewhat annoying, yes. I saw Delta Vee first as an issue game; I think I bought the separate version of Universe rather than the Box Set.

I've also liked Universe for sentimental reasons -- it inspired me to restart a moribund Traveller game (blending elements of both systems together and making up more of my own rules to fill gaps) that ended up lasting several years, which in turn encouraged me to design and write RPGs.

Another solo game from SPI Ares stable was Damocles Mission, which was sort of Citadel of Blood In Space, combining chit/tile building and paragraphs. It was interesting for SPI in being almost entirely non-violent, Archur C. Clarke-style Rendezvous With Rama-type science adventure . I found the concept good but the execution a little dry.