View Single Post
Old 03-27-2019, 07:48 PM   #5
Dalin

Default Re: [Adventure Seeds] Acid Spider

I shared these seeds with my kids at dinner tonight (doesn't everybody talk about imaginary monsters at dinner?) and we got to discussing their powerful fangs. It seemed to us that they probably didn't evolve* to eat armored knights, so what did they typically sink their fangs into? Armored dinosaurs would be an interesting combination—Acid Spiders hunting ankylosaurs in the land of the lost.

My son suggested dragons. At first, I scoffed. Dragons are too badass to be pestered by mere spiders. But the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. The spiders are super stealthy. They can leap 10 yards. They have fangs that can regularly pierce a medium dragon's hide. Even an acid dragon, by the book, wouldn't have any special defense since the acid is a follow-up after the fangs pierce its hide. Packs of stronger spiders might even threaten a large dragon. If I were running them this way, I'd probably give them Catfall and Spider Climb too. (But I'd probably add those traits to them anyway.)

So now I want to combine this with the halfling barbarian idea. But I somehow like the idea of a bunch of riders on a single spider. Riding off to pounce on some dragons. Cool.

* Yeah, we know that you can't bring evolution into DF. But it was a fun thought experiment.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote