View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 10:17 PM   #39
Varyon

Default Re: The guide to throat slitting (or sentry removal, for the gentlemen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Realistically, there ought to be a crippling
threshold for the throat.
There is, hidden away in Biotech on page 123. Crushing injury over HP/2 to the Neck crushes the trachea, causing choking. Without exotic abilities (Doesn't Breathe, high levels of Regeneration, etc) or magical healing, the character will require an emergency tracheotomy or will die, even if he suffers only Temporary Crippling. Cutting injury would probably call for a greater threshold*, as for it to cause suffocation I believe you need to have some pretty decent damage such that the character bleeds through his trachea into his lungs, resulting in him quite literally drowning to death in his own blood... which is markedly more difficult to fix than just a tracheotomy.

*Well, realistically I think most cutting weapons would also crush the trachea while they were at it. Thus, I'd probably say cutting injury over 2/3 HP (with crushing being 1.5x and cutting being 2x, this is the same amount of penetrating damage as is needed for crushing damage to do it) also crushes the trachea, and save the "drowning in your own blood" bit for particularly brutal artery/vein attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Maybe but Gorgets, aventails etc. Also stuff like stiffened/reinforced collars to ward of garrottes etc. People have been sneaking up on each other and doing horrible things to necks for a long time, so people were aware of the risk of it.
I believe neck armor is incredibly uncomfortable, so sentries could probably avoid it (for a sentry, it's only useful if you've arguably already failed in your job, after all). Additionally, I think a lot of rigid neck armor should be treated as having Armor Gaps. That said, while Neck isn't the worst place to target for some stabby sentry removal, it certainly isn't the best.