View Single Post
Old 07-20-2016, 04:16 AM   #8
trooper6

Default Re: experience with rules-light/rules-free rpgs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchwork View Post
A rules-light game cannot be carved up into tiny pieces of private property and still work. In my experience.
That is not my experience at all. Not all rules light games are narrative games (and not all narrative games are rules light). And I have certainly run rules light games with the traditional GM:World::Player:Charater boundaries. And things don't get bogged down or dysfunctional at all. Because I play with good players. And honestly, a person can play GURPS in a rules light way...though I don't tend to.

WARP is not Fiasco. But they are both rules light.

I play heavy and light in different situations. I like light for shorter experiences, heavy for longer experiences. If the game I'm running will last fewer than 6 sessions and will not continue past that, then I prefer rules light. If I plan on running the campaign for six sessions and longer then I go for a heavier rules system. But this has nothing to do with players taking meta narrative control. I can have heavy games where they have meta narrative control, I can have light games where they don't.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote