View Single Post
Old 01-07-2019, 02:59 AM   #30
coronatiger

Default Session 6 (2019-01-05)

Secrets, secrets... Everybody has secrets. Some of them are known to the other players, but not to the other characters, like the fact that Magnar is trying to track down the priests who confiscated the mummy. Others, like why he is doing it, are kept from the rest. Everyone except Kine's player went outside the room with the GM at one point or other, and excessive amounts of notes were passed around the table. As I'm writing from Mattea's point of view, and she's even more in the dark than I am, lots of things going on this session are left out of the log.

Thoughts on June 24th (continued)

So many people to see… I love it, but I’d also have liked to just stay at the inn all day.

First, we saw the leatherworker, Alfrey Kansh. I secretly handed him Olivia’s measurements while reporting what went down in the mines.

Then we went to Hess Yggarson. He told us that the show was going to be a play mostly consisting of mock combat, since all the actors were adventurers, and therefore talented fighters. It wasn’t exactly what I had imagined, but he assured me that there would be lots of opportunities to do balancing and acrobatics, and the dialog was minimal. There would be two performances a day for the first few days, starting on the 27th, then one. The show would go on for about a week.

As the daily common practice sessions lasted from nine to three, I was able to meet everyone before they left for the day. In addition to the five acting adventurers, there were extras, seamstresses, makeup-artists, stagehands and more. I stayed there most of the evening, learning my part and chatting with the crew. The seamstresses got to start on my costume. I look forward to see it.

Our new room, or rather suite of rooms, at the Red Mansion is more luxurious than any I’ve seen this side of the ocean. It reminds me of my room at the House of the Rose in Toram, where I stayed before moving in with Duke Leonard. The bed is certainly as delightfully soft as can be imagined. Ah, here comes Olivia…

Thoughts on June 25th

Kine and Magnar came to see me practice this morning. At a break, Kine asked if I could help her smuggle some items into a building. She’d pay me 10 gold pieces for my aid! I thought it sounded fishy, but she assured me it wasn’t when I voiced my concern, so I told her I’d come. She left to go trading at the market, and I guess she’ll contact me again when it’s time to make the delivery. Magnar stayed for a couple of hours before saying good bye.

I promised Kine I’d tell Lady Karita she was looking for her, but when I returned to the inn, the whole party was just arriving as well, so there was no need. Kine made the same offer to Lady Karita as she made to me. What a faux pas! I nearly face-palmed myself. Kine clearly doesn’t have much experience dealing with nobility. Since we’ve all become quite close over the last month or so, Lady Karita was able to overlook the insult, and requested a private dining room so she could hear Kine out.

Kine told us that she was going to smuggle weapons into a house. It seemed to me she hadn’t thought it through. From what she’d told me earlier, the operation was legitimate, so I asked her why she didn’t just knock on the door and make the delivery. She explained that the guards at the house wouldn’t let her bring the weapons inside. My follow-up question was naturally why she couldn’t simply give the weapons to the them, then, to have the guards bring them inside. After some sharp questions from Lady Karita, Kine admitted that the owner of the house is a slave trader, and that she is going to help the slaves break free. There are many lawful reasons for owning slaves, but it seems like the slaves in this house have been taken illegally. After discussing to-and-fro, we agreed that the right way to proceed was to alert the authorities, and have them liberate the slaves.

Thoughts on June 26th

Today was the last day of practice before the show. The practice went well and I got my flashy costume, so everything is ready for tomorrow.

Olivia and I met Lady Karita and Kine for dinner at the Red Mansion. Magnar was attending to some private business, so he couldn’t join us. Lady Karita told me she had received an invitation to a ball at the Tinderholm residence in a few days, and when she saw how envious I was, she said she might get me an invitation. Tinderholm is one of the ruling families in the region.

Thoughts on June 27th
This morning, I was so elated about the performances that I got up early and started rummaging noisily around the room, waking Olivia. She complained that it was still dark, that it must be hours until breakfast, but I was wide awake, and insisted on getting ready. She asked if I knew where her clothes were. Then the sneaky little kitten lifted the blanket, showing me where they were not. We woke up again in time for breakfast.

We went to see Lady Karita’s dressmaker, assuming her social standing and my fame would be enough to get me into the ball. I’ve never had to pay for my own fancy dresses before, so I was quite taken aback by the price, but I could afford it. Luckily, I didn’t have to pay for a dress for Olivia as well. She’d be uncomfortable trying to hobnob with the high and mighty, and anyway, the only way I’d get her in was as a servant.

The matinee was a disaster. I forgot all my lines, and my acrobatic performance was mediocre. After an intense study session reading lines with Olivia, the soiree went a little better, but there is still much room for improvement. I should have focused more on learning my lines, but my obsession about becoming the world’s greatest acrobat had gotten in the way.

Thoughts on June 28th
After practicing my lines again this morning with Olivia, I finally remembered all of them when I was supposed to. I’m never going to be a good actor, but I never sought to become one either. My talents lie elsewhere.

Between the two shows, I picked up my ball gown, and in the evening, Lady Karita told me I could come to the party. I celebrated with Olivia.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote