View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 02:46 AM   #43
tbone

Default Re: TFT and GURPS - where is the line between them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
...but don't forget that the higher DX figure in TFT usually goes before an equivalently skilled character with armor, and so can often avoid damage completely by *disengaging*. :)
A good point. Using that to step off on a tangent for a moment:

On that topic of how unarmored (or otherwise nimble) characters could be given better defense in TFT, I had one passing thought as follows: perhaps the Defending/Dodging option could be tweaked to accommodate. That is, Defending/Dodging essentially means "-3.5 to enemy's to-hit roll". But what if that varied with the defender's quickness, so that a lumbering, armored fighter only inflicted (say) -2 on the attacker by Defending/Dodging, while an agile, unencumbered fighter inflicted (say) -5 on the attacker...

I'm not saying that it's a good idea; just that it maybe it could inject some "agility as defense" into the game. But, here's the mildly disappointing part: As it requires Defending/Dodging, it'd mean that the unarmored fellow only gets to enjoy that sweet, agile evasiveness when he's not actually fighting (i.e., when he's choosing to not attack). If he decides to slug it out, he's back to being no better at avoiding attacks than the slow tin-can fighter.

Which is neither here nor there, because it's an untested idea, not a rule. But I mention that because the same holds for disengaging. I like that the light fighter can disengage better than the heavy fighter, as you point out. That's the kind of advantage I want to see the "naked barbarian" enjoy. But... if our loincloth crusader decides to actually engage and fight, that disengaging ability doesn't do anything, and the unprotected guy enjoys no better an evasive ability than a steel-cased knight.

I'm not saying that's bad or wrong. Just that it's at least worth a look. The TFT method – heavy weight hurts you on offense, not (much) on defense – will likely run counter to the expectations of some new players.

But still. In the end, if people are happy with it, then so be it! If nothing else, it's uniquely TFT. : )

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote