View Single Post
Old 02-16-2008, 02:27 PM   #793
transmetahuman

Default Re: 50-point Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetahuman
Germs in Black (+4,891%)

Toxic Attack 1 point (Cyclic, 1 day, 493 cycles*, +4930%, highly contagious, +50%; No Signature (leaves magical trace), +20%; Symptoms, 2/3 HP, Disadvantage, Partial Amnesia, Magical events & inconsistencies witnessed, +10%; Disadvantage, Trivial Delusion, "Magic isn't real, and people who believe in it are delusional", +1%; Contact Agent, -30%; No Wounding, -50%; Onset, 1 day, -30%; Accessibility, Not versus treated Cabalists, mages, or supernatural beings, -0%; Magical, -10%.

*Using the Multiplicative Modifiers option:
2,481 cycles (+24,810%)
1 + 24,891% = 250; 250 - 80% = 50

A magical disease with harmless symptoms that very few will ever notice - and those few can be readily dealt with by the Cabal's more conventional teams. Note that it is not the resistible form of Cyclic; once you catch it, you'll feel the symptoms within a week or two, and spread it by contagion for months or years. By the time your current infection has ended, and you've healed up the virtual HPs and no longer feel the symptoms, you will probably have been infected again, several times, as you and your neighbors continually re-infect each other. New memories of supernatural weirdness will be doubted by yourself as well as others, and probably getting hazy within days and totally forgotten within weeks.

Cabalists, non-Cabalist supernaturals (not always a benefit for the Cabal, hence the -0% Accessibility), and the few with natural immunity (see Campaigns p. 443) will remember the truth, but acquired immunity doesn't apply to this strain. Recent memories may return, and the infection end prematurely, if the victim enters an area with no mana at all.

This is the write-up for the Philosopher who first developed the ritual. No one actually has this ability anymore (though the Cabal has the records, if they need to re-create it) - it's just a disease, floating around out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis
I'm guessing that one is floating around in Sunnydale. :P
Heh. Funnily enough, I'm calling the campaign idea that it was built for "The Spellmouth".

Any criticism? I'm not really clear on using diseases in GURPS. I'm assuming someone actually infected with a contagious disease doesn't gain it as an advantage - but does that hold true even if he suffers no ill effects from it, himself? Is it kosher to use No Wounding in conjunction with Symptoms this way? Does it make a difference if the symptoms are noticeable? If an ongoing Cyclic attack with Magical enters a NMZ, does the attack end, or just have no effect besides using up cycles until the victim exits the zone? If a magical disease with physical symptoms enters a NMZ, will the symptoms cease as well? Is "Contagious" a penetration modifier?
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote