View Single Post
Old 03-21-2016, 08:36 PM   #32
mlangsdorf

Default Re: 1980s American Cars, Guns, Gadgets and Consumer Goods [Atmosphere, look, minutiae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Hip and cool local kids who go to college in urban areas* drink vodka, but what brand? Absolut had a successful 1980s ad campaign and is fairly upscale. Would it be appropriate? Smirnoff is a stalwart seller in much of the world and in the US when I've visited in the 1990s and later, would that hold true in New England in 1988?

What about gin? Canadians make a lot of gin and it's certainly common across the border. Would Mainians buy Seagrams gin or was there no culture for gin drinks in 1980s America?
The vodka of choice is probably Absolut - still a favorite when I went to college 5 years later - or the cheapest local brand, which would be some bargain distillery based on a local landmark. You wouldn't be wrong to call it "River City" as a generic name, but there may be something more appropriate.

7-and-seven (Seagram's 7 and Seven-up as a slightly sugary gin-and-tonic) would an uncommon but not unknown cocktail in 1980s. Or simple gin and tonics or sloe gin fizzes.