View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
tbone

Default Re: [Houserule] Changing Defaults to Techniques

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
I didn't mean actual techniques but the "technique of B" where B is a default you raised as if it were a technique, ie if they haven't paid full price for the skill don't let them have techniques based off that value. The intent being similar to no Double-Default. If they want techniques based off the "skill B" they need to buy it up properly, although there are times when that is 1cp.
I think I see what you mean... though maybe not.

Are you saying that, as long as Skill B is defaulting to Skill A, no techniques of Skill B should be allowed at all, until some points are put into Skill B?

If that's the idea, I still see problems with either the RAW cost to raise B (why put 4 points into Skill B when you can instead put 4 points into Skill A and get both skills?) and the proposed cost to raise B (if you can use techniques of Skill B [which I think you're saying may require some point investment in B], then why bother to raise a technique of Skill B when you can further raise all of B for that same 1 point?).

That's why I like 2 points to raise the defaulting skill, as it leaves incentive for buying up Skill A, or Skill B, or techniques of either skill. Which isn't to say it's perfect, though. It provides an incentive to buy up Skill B instead of Skill A, but doesn't provide incentive to buy up two skills that default from A. Similarly, it provides an incentive to buy up a technique of Skill B, but not two techniques of Skill B. Alas, that's just unavoidable with the low granularity of point costs involved...

Anyway, apologies if I'm still misunderstanding your comment!

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote