View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #24
DSumner

Default Re: Assault Pack Preview Handouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galfridus View Post
However, it seems to me that the true use case is when the extra movement lets them participate in fights they would otherwise not reach in time. The handout does say they are intended for use in special case scenarios.
Ding! you just hit the nail on the head. You'd use them in areas with restrictive terrain, where INF units would dominate. They can rush in, hit their target, and then outrun regular Infantry units.

Another suggestion I'd posted long ago, when I posted my own take on converting Rangers from Battlesuit to regular Ogre/GEV, was to allow Rangers to use nuclear demolition charges to destroy structures. Here was my take (and be advised this is all completely UNOFFICIAL in every way, shape, or form).

Ranger Infantry (RANGER) - Ranger counters represent either 1, 2, or 3 squad(s) of specially trained and equipped infantry, that are used for raiding and scouting missions. Ranger units are equipped better electronics, weapons, and communications systems than standard infantry units. Ranger battlesuits allow infantry to move at a higher rate of speed than a regular infantry unit. Rangers have an attack strength of 1, a range of 1, a defense strength of 2 and a movement of 3. They may be purchased at a rate of 2:1 (1 squad of Rangers per two squads of regular Infantry), and are worth 4 VP.

Ranger units may mine structures for demolition. Once a structure is mined it can immediately be destroyed by the player who mined it, or he can destroy it in any phase of any subsequent turn he wishes, turning the structure to rubble. Infantry inside the structure are destroyed. All other units, with the exception of an Ogre, immediately suffer a 2-1 attack, and are left within the rubble area if they survive the explosion. It takes one squad of Rangers one turn, doing nothing else, to mine 10 SP worth of building.

Rangers may also plant a Small Atomic Demolition Munitions (SADM - a small back pack sized nuclear charge) to destroy a structure, cut a road, or destroy a bridge. Each Ranger squad is capable of carrying one charge. To plant the charge the Ranger squad must spend two turns doing nothing but planting the charge. At the end of the second turn move the squad 1 hex away, and a crater counter is placed in the hex that the Rangers were previously occupying. The crater is considered rubble for movement purposes and is not impassable like the crater created by a cruise-missile. When planted in a building or on a bridge, the charge will immediately destroy the structure.

Here's a link to the thread I first posted them in - http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...hlight=Rangers

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"

Last edited by DSumner; 02-25-2017 at 05:03 PM.
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote