View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 04:17 AM   #9
Nymdok

Default Re: [GM] At last! A combat Matrix is Born(sort of)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT View Post
Nymdok,
I am skeptical, but I am willing to try a “real world” test or two.

In my DF game, my players have a big "Boss" encounter with Acid Spiders coming up. In my mind, a Boss encounter should have most of the party seriously wounded, with a chance of death for one or two of them (assuming the dice don't turn against them with a string of criticals).

Using your combat matrix, how many Acid Spider opponents should I send at the 6 PCs as a “Boss” encounter?

I'll run it with your suggestion rather than what I had planned.
-Dan
First of all Dan, thanks for playtesting!

Im going to say that, depending on range,

4: easy
5: Medium
6: hard
7: very hard
8: TPK

What Follows is an explanation of these numbers.

Per Turn Metrics
So looking at the averages:

Spiders offense
Attack 15 vs 13 (20%) average of all party AD.
Damage 2d Imp - 4 DR + 1d-3 per sec 10 seconds = 3 imp +10 = 16
.20 x 16 = about 3 dmage per turn per spider.

Player Offense
Attack avg 17 v 11 (15 v 10 with 1 level of DA) @ 50%
Damage Avg 11 (10.7)
.5 x 10.7 = 5 damge per turn.

Knowing what that expectation is, we look at how long we expect each side to last.

Encounter Metrics

I dont know what the avereage Effective HT of your party is, nor do I know what the HT of the spiders are. I can tell you this, its much more likely that they will fall unconcious than they will die from wounds (generally speaking). Once we get negative HP, we're going to start assuming bad things happen.

Now for the Spiders, we have to be more careful still as the spiders have only dodge for thier defense in this build. Once they loose 2/3 of their hit points, their dodge will drop to 6 virtually guranteeding hits for the party. So practically the spiders dont have 26 hp , but closer to 17

So if we assume, even up 6 on 6, we have:
The spiders doing about 3 per turn vs Heroes 13 hp - so about 5 turns
The Heroes doing about 5 per turn vs spiders 17 hp - so about 4 turns

Now we know that the Party's aveage HP is pulle dup by the Barbies 22 HP and most of them are between 10-11 which is only 3 rounds! That means taht on average by turn 3, almost everyone in the party is making HT checks but the Barbie.

Other Considerations:

This party has some reasonable missle abilities and could concievable wither the non-missle spiders. You can solve this with either enviornmental consideratoins (rooms less than one basic move away) or adding enough spiders to absorb the damage. Since your average looks to be about 7 damage at range, or 42 we then take that and figure what the likelyhood is that they will hit.

So at 9 yards or less the spider can close in a turn and get in a slam this is the default assumtion.

At 18-10 yards then there will be -4 to -6 in range penalties, Well say -5. This drops the party average to 13 v 11 or 30% so we can add .30*42 = about 13. since our spiders are functionaly only 17, we could add another spider at this range.

OTHER OTHER CONSIDERATIONS:
There were a few things missing from your assesment of yoru party that may merit your consideratino.

I didt see a listing for FP, no one had acrobatics and Im assuming tha th 2x in your listing meant you were Dual Wielding not rapid striking. I also saw no listing for helaing spells or potions, off hand weapon training or ambidexterity.

You know your party better than I do. You know your tactics as YOU play the nPCs and their tactics as they play. Most manuvers have counters (eg, Flurry of blows vs Feverish defense) keep these in mind.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing how it goes!

Final Notes:

Based on what we have here, medium difficulty should be 5 spiders. That means that it is (70%) Likely that SOMEONE in the party will get hit each turn and have to deal with the acid issues. The 2d impaling versus DR4 means that the AVERAGE will be enough to do a major wound per turn with the knockdown and stunning that goes with it.

That means that if the party doesnt act quickly to end the spiders, thsi can get out of hand QUICKLY.

For what its worth, Im guessing the fight goes 6 rounds with the knight as last man standing.

Nymdok

Last edited by Nymdok; 04-18-2010 at 04:32 AM.
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote