View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 01:21 AM   #49
Ed the Coastie

Default Re: Player Paranoia and Character Surprise: How to GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs
I don't blame her. I wouldn't feel entitled to inflict that big a surprise on my players; if the prospectus didn't at least say, "something unexpected will happen," I wouldn't consider that I had the players' consent to a gaming contract, and I would think they were entitled to reject the campaign as "not what we were promised."
Actually, "something unusual will happen" is pretty much SOP for my campaigns...as my regular players -- including my wife -- are all fully aware. Nobody expected the campaign to remain strictly espionage/counter-terrorism for very long. Most of the players had actually anticipated either a time-travel scenario (they knew I had been reading up on history) or else a trip to the Hollow Earth, and with the exception of my wife all enjoyed the Riverworld campaign. What I had failed to take into account is that my wife had never encountered the Riverworld concept before, and so she was totally lost for the first couple of sessions.

But I did agree with her that I will in the future save Riverworld as either an announced campaign or else as a "safety net" for favorite PCs who have fallen in battle.